Fun Facts about Cucumber:
In-season- April, May, June, July, August
- The term “cool as a cucumber” is derived from the cucumber’s ability to cool the temperature of the blood.
- Botanically speaking, cucumbers are a fruit, but they are used as a vegetable. Similar to tomatoes and watermelon.
- The world’s heaviest cucumber was grown by David Thomas, from the UK, in 2015 and weighed 23 pounds and 7 ounces.
Health Benefits of Cucumber:
- When applied topically, cucumber does cool the blood and ease facial swelling, which is why cucumbers are so popular in facial regimens.
- The phytochemicals in cucumbers can kill the bacteria that are responsible for causing bad breath.
- Cucumbers are a natural multivitamin as it contains both vitamins and minerals; vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5 and B6, folic acid, Vitamin C, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and zinc.
- They are made up of 95% water ensured boosted hydration.
Cooking with Cucumber:
- Is usually enjoyed raw in sandwiches and salads.
- Can be pickled and used as a side dish.
- Is commonly used to juice or added to smoothies.
Recipe using Cucumber:
- Mediterranean Cucumber Salad
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- radishes, chopped
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper, chopped
- A handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon, 3 Tablespoons
- Salt, to taste
- Combine all ingredients to a bowl, mix, and enjoy!