Fun Facts about Basil:
- It is an especially important part of Italian cuisine.
- There are 50 to 150 species of basil with many of them having different colors and scents.
- Basil also has a strong history in ancient traditional medicines.
- It’s a great plant to grow in your kitchen!
Health Benefits of Basil:
- Basil is high in calcium which helps build and maintain strong bones, keeps the heart, muscles, and nerves functioning optimally.
- It is also a rich source of vitamin K which helps make various proteins that are needed for blood clotting and the building of bones.
- Basil plants act as an adaptogen which is a natural substance that helps your body adapt to stress and promotes mental balance.
- Basil isn’t simply for internal use. When basil’s oils are extracted to make essential oil, it is used for treating cuts, wounds, and skin infections.
Cooking with Basil:
- Raw or cooked, fresh basil adds its own distinct, beloved flavor to any number of dishes.
- The most common use of basil for cooking is in tomato sauce, pesto, or vinegar. But it also can be sprinkled over salads and sliced tomatoes, either whole or chopped.