Fun Facts about Tomatoes:
- The scientific name for Tomato is Solanum Lycopersicum.
- They’re related to peppers and tomatoes.
- They originate from South and Central America, but it’s now used in all parts of the world
Health Benefits of Tomatoes:
- Tomatoes are very high in Vitamin A which promotes eye and heart health.
- Tomatoes are high in Vitamin C which boosts immunity and fights off diseases.
- Tomatoes are also high in Potassium which helps regulate fluid balance, muscle contractions, and nerve signals.
- Tomatoes contain antioxidants and flavonoids that help protect the body from cancer.
Main Types of Tomatoes:
- Bush Tomatoes- tennis ball-sized, juicy with rich flavor
- Beefsteak- large globe-shaped, can weigh over a pound
- Plum- Thick-walled and plum-shaped, perfect for sauce
- Cherry/Grape- smaller, about one-inch diameter. High sugar content and sweet in flavor
Cooking with Tomatoes:
- Eat fresh in a sandwich or a salad.
- Pasta sauces are a great way to use both fresh and canned tomatoes.
- Roast in the oven drizzled with oil and sprinkled with basil and oregano to make a bruschetta.