Benefits of Eating Seasonally
- You will have a reduced carbon footprint and support a more geographically sustainable food economy.
- Produce that is in-season are more nutrient-dense as seasonal produce is generally harvested at its peak so it retains its full nutrient and vitamin content.
- It’s cost-efficient! Buying produce seasonally saves money.
Benefits of Shopping for Produce Locally
- It decreases the amount of fuel spent to purchase goods.
- Purchasing in season from local farms, your food dollar goes directly to farmers, supporting your local economy.
- Environmental footprint shrinks when you opt to purchase from farms ~50 miles away, rather than food that travels cross country or even cross-continental via truck, ship, and airplane.
- Environmental damage is caused by shipping foods thousands of miles.