Fun Facts about Sorrel:
In-season- April, May, June, July
- Sorrel is a small edible green plant from the Polygonaceae family, which also includes buckwheat and rhubarb.
- The French translation of sorrel is “sour.”
- Common sorrel is widely used in folk medicine. Poultices made of leaves are used in the treatment of bruises and external inflammations. Tea made of leaves soothes fever, stomach ache, sores, and intestinal parasites. The root is also used in the treatment of diarrhea.
Health Benefits of Sorrel:
- Sorrel contains a wide range of essential vitamins and minerals, but it also contains an antioxidant called flavonoids, which not only give its deep red color but acts as a powerful antioxidant that scavenges the body of free radicals that can cause deadly diseases.
- Sorrel has been proven to reduce the risk of heart disease by lowering bad cholesterol and helping to prevent clogged arteries.
- As a plant with significant amounts of Vitamin A, sorrel can help to improve poor eyesight and prevent age-related ocular degeneration.
- Sorrel also has significant iron levels, which help improve circulation throughout the body by boosting red blood cell production and oxygen levels in vital organs.
Cooking with Sorrel:
- The French translation of sorrel, “sour,” is spot-on as these leaves have an intense lemon-tang flavor.
- Common sorrel should be consumed in moderate doses due to the high content of oxalic acid that can aggravate existing kidney problems, rheumatism, gout, and arthritis.
- Sorrel is a common addition to salads, soups, and sauces and can be used to make tea.
Recipe using Sorrel:
- Chickpea and Sorrel Salad
- 2 cans of chickpeas
- Chunks of sorrel
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- juice of one lemon, about 3 tbsp
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Drain and rinse chickpeas well.
- Add all ingredients except the sorrel and the parsley to a bowl. Mix well and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
- When ready to serve mix in the sorrel and parsley and eat immediately.